02 Mar FORTUIN STARS AS LIONS CLAIM A CRUCIAL WIN AT THE WANDERERS
JOHANNESBURG: Bjorn Fortuin delivered a stellar performance and DP World Lions claimed a 28-run victory against Six Gun Grill Western Province as the Cricket South Africa (CSA) 4-Day Series continued in Johannesburg.
Fortuin scored an unbeaten century (123* off 143) to help Lions to a first innings score of 323 runs. He then followed his unbeaten ton from day one with a half century, and with Dominic Hendricks (80), the Lions finished the second innings on 315 all out.
He backed up his batting wins by claiming crucial wickets throughout the innings. With a total of nine wickets in the match, Fortuin returned 3/63 and 6/69 in the two innings.
Western Province, who posted 423 in the first innings had to chase 216 runs to win the match. A disciplined bowling unit from the Lions saw the Cape Town-based men fall 28 runs short. Efforts from Daniel Smith (61) and Edward Moore (59) were not enough, and the visitors were bowled for 187 runs.
In Durban, the Hollywoodbets Dolphins claimed a third consecutive victory with a seven-wicket win against Momentum Multiply Titans.
With a rained-out day one, the encounter got off to an electric start when 15 wickets fell on day two and fans were in for a special treat.
Dolphins responded with 253 runs from the Titans’ 165-run first innings score, thanks to contributions from Jason Smith (82), and Jon Jon Smuts (42).
The hosts’ bowling attack proved too strong as Titans were restricted to 138 all out in the second innings. That meant the Dolphins only needed 50 runs in the second innings to secure a comfortable win.
Titans weren’t going to make it easy as Donovan Ferreira (3/17) claimed three opening wickets and Dolphins ended on 51/3, winning the game by seven wickets.
Meanwhile, the ITEC Knights secured a massive 161-run against Dafabet Warriors at St Georges’ Park.
Knights were off to a great start when they made a score of over 400 runs in their first innings and in return restricted their hosts to 134/10.
Even though the visitors were bowled out for 157 in the second innings, the damage had already been done as Warriors needed 455 runs to win.
Matthew Breetzke’s century (111) had given the hosts a fighting chance and with Rudi Second (77), the Warriors were bowled out for 284 on day four.
2022/23 CSA 4-Day Series: Sun – Wed: 26 Feb – 01 Mar 23 (Summary of Results)
Dafabet Warriors vs ITEC Knights (St George’s Park, Gqeberha) – Knights won the toss and elected to bat first
- Knights won by 161 runs.
- Knights: 422/10 – G. Cloete 93 (133), P. Kruger 81 (135) / B. Swanepoel 5/82
- Warriors: 134/10 – S. Qeshile 25 (62) / P. Kruger 5/21, N. Mpungose 2/35
- Knights: 157/10 – M. Pretorius 46 (65) / B. Swanepoel 5/35, R. Second 2/8
- Warriors – 284/10 – M. Breetzke 111(213), R. Second 77 (146) / N. Mpungose 4/46, N. van Heerden 3/47
DP World Lions vs Six Gun Grill Western Province (DP World Wanderers, Johannesburg) – Lions won the toss and elected to bat first
- Lions won by 28 runs
- Lions: 323/10 – B. Fortuin 123* (143), M. Siboto 52 (106) / B. Hendricks 5/59, M. Mpongwana 3/51
- Western Province: 423/10 – Z. Hamza 129 (177), K. Verreynne 68 (84), M. Mpongwana 62 (101) / L. Sipamla 4/101, B. Fortuin 3/63
- Lions: 315/10 – D. Hendricks 80 (142), B. Fortuin 65 (112) / T. Moreki 3/53, K. Simmonds 3/82
- Western Province: 187/10 – D. Smith 61 (93), E. Moore 59 (97) / B. Fortuin 6/69, S. Magala 3/26
Hollywoodbets Dolphins vs Momentum Multiply Titans (Hollywoodbets Kingsmead) – Titans won the toss and elected to bat first
- Dolphins won by seven wickets.
- Titans : 165/10 – C. Bosch 54/53 / P. Subrayen 7/52, JJ. Smuts 3/58
- Dolphins : 253/10 – J. Smith 82 (222), JJ Smuts 42 (74) /Smangaliso Nhlebela 5/74, C. Bosch 2/27
- Titans : 138/10 – N. Brand 50 (151), D. Ferreira 39 (35) / JJ Smuts 5/67, P. Subrayen 4/45
- Dolphins : 51/3 – B. Parsons 25 (45) / D. Ferreira 3/17
Upcoming Matches – 2022/23 CSA 4-Day Series: Thurs – Sun: 02 – 05 Mar 23
10h00: Six Gun Grill Garden Route Badgers vs Northern Cape Heat – Six Gun Grill Recreation Ground, Oudtshoorn
10h00: Eastern Cape Iinyathi vs Limpopo Impalas – Buffalo Park Cricket Stadium, East London
10h00: Eastern Storm vs Mpumalanga Rhinos – Willowmoore Park, Benoni
All matches can be streamed live on the CSA YouTube Channel.
Issued by: Cricket South Africa – Corporate Communications
ABOUT CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA
Cricket South Africa (CSA), an affiliate of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) and a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC), is the national governing body for the sport of cricket in South Africa and administers all aspects of South African cricket, men, and women, both in the professional and amateur sphere.