27 Feb LIONS AND KNIGHTS TAKE THE LEAD ON DAY ONE
JOHANNESBURG: The race is on for the Cricket South Africa (CSA) 4-Day Series title as the two Divisions battle it out in the final rounds of the competition.
In Division 2, the AET Tuskers secured a massive innings win against Limpopo Impalas whilst Eastern Cape Iinyathi recorded a 10-wicket victory against Six Gun Grill Garden Route Badgers. Meanwhile in Kimberly, the Northern Cape Heat and Eastern Storm shared the spoils in a high scoring encounter this past weekend.
In Division One, Bjorn Fortuin’s unbeaten century (123* off 143) powered the DP World Lions to amass a total of 323 runs all out against the Six Gun Grill Western Province at the Wanderers.
After opting to bat first, the hosts found themselves on 22/3 as Beuran Hendriks (5/59) hurled fire on Lions openers, dismissing them in the first 10 overs of the match.
Fortuin, with support of Malusi Siboto (52) and combined for 144 runs for the eighth wicket, ensuring the hosts amass a competitive first innings score.
Mitchell van Buuren (46) and Dominic Hendricks’ (44) contributions were also vital on Day 1’s innings.
Hendricks was the pick of the bowlers, returning a five-wicket haul whilst Mihlali Mpongwana recorded 3/51.
ITEC Knights have gotten off to a good start in Gqeberha against hosts, Dafabet Warriors.
The visitors opted to bat first as an all-round batting effort saw them end the first innings on 422/10.
Gihahn Cloete (93), Patrick Kruger (81), Pite van Biljon (48) and other contributions in the thirties ensured that the Bloemfontein-based side sets up a competitive start.
Beyers Swanepoel delivered another five-wicket haul, returning 5/82, including the dismissal of Cloete.
Play was called off between Hollywoodbets Dolphins and Momentum Multiply Titans due to bad light in Durban.
2022/23 CSA 4-Day Series : Sun – Wed: 26 Feb – 01 Mar 23, Stumps on Day 1)
Dafabet Warriors vs ITEC Knights (St George’s Park, Gqeberha) – Knights won the toss and elected to bat first
- Knights are 422 all out
- Knights: 422/10 – G. Cloete 93 (133), P. Kruger 81 (135) / B. Swanepoel 5/82
- Warriors: DNB
DP World Lions vs Six Gun Grill Western Province (DP World Wanderers, Johannesburg) – Lions won the toss and elected to bat first
- Western Province trail Lions by 311 runs with 10 wickets remaining
- Lions: 323/10 – B. Fortuin 123* (143), M. Siboto 52 (106) / B. Hendricks 5/59, M. Mpongwana 3/51
- Western Province: 12/0
Hollywoodbets Dolphins vs Momentum Multiply Titans (Hollywoodbets Kingsmead) – (No Play)
CSA 4-Day Series: Thurs – Sun: 23 – 26 February 2023 (Results)
Northern Cape Heat vs Eastern Storm (Kimberley Oval, Kimberley) – Heat won the toss and elected to bat first
- Match Drawn
- Heat: 458/10 – E. Kemm 117 (243), R. Moonsamy 85 (92), J. Oakes 53 (116) / T. Simelane 3/127, K. Sekhukhune 3/27
- Storm: 421/10 – W. Coulentianos 128 (291), D. Rossouw 73 (177), K. Sekhukhune 53 (162), M. Pillay 52 (116) / E. Kemm 7/112
- Heat: 334/5 – R. Moonsamy 126 (88), E. Kemm 96 (157), G. Thomson 49 (34) / T. Simelane 3/134
- Storm: DNB
Eastern Cape Iinyathi vs Six Gun Grill Garden Route Badgers (Buffalo Park Cricket Stadium, East London) – Iinyathi won the toss and elected to field first
- Iinyathi won by 10 wickets
- Badgers: 165/10 – J. van Briesies 47 (94), B. Capell 37 (47) / S. Ntuntwana 3/51, G. Peters 3/52
- Iinyathi: 349/10 – J. Niemand 168 (282), J. de Klerk 47 (74), N. Yikha 43 (68) / P. Moletsane 3/59, B. Walters 2/44
- Badgers: 244/10 – B. Capell 52 (77), J. du Plessis 47 (90) / P. Fojela 7/52, T. Kaber 2/61
- Iinyathi: 61/0 – J. Niemand 28* (33), J. van Heerded 32* (30)
Limpopo Impalas vs AET Tuskers (Polokwane Cricket Club, Polokwane) – Impalas won the toss and elected to bat first
- Tuskers won by an innings and 111 runs
- Impalas: 251/10 – M. Venter 76 (141), R. Haasbroek 45 (71) / S. Tait 5/49, M. Nofal 3/93
- Tuskers: 483/10 – C. Shekleton 125* (256), T. Khumalo 99 (253), Y. Valli 73 (183), M. Nofal 51 (115) / R. Haasbroek 5/105, M. Venter 2/53
- Impalas: 121/10 – M. Venter 31 (82) / S. Tait 5/42, M. Nofal 3/30
- Tuskers: DNB
All matches can be streamed live on the CSA YouTube Channel.
Issued by: Cricket South Africa – Corporate Communications
ABOUT CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA
Cricket South Africa (CSA), an affiliate of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) and a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC), is the national governing body for the sport of cricket in South Africa and administers all aspects of South African cricket, men, and women, both in the professional and amateur sphere.