28 Nov DE ZORZI POWERS TO A NEW FIRST-CLASS RECORD AT NEWLANDS
JOHANNESBURG: Tony de Zorzi was unstoppable on Day 2 of the Cricket South Africa (CSA) 4-Day Series, smashing his way to a triple ton at the Six Gun Grill Newlands.
De Zorzi’s unbeaten 304*runs set a new record as the highest individual first-class score by a batter at Newlands. His knock included 28 boundaries and seven maximums.
The ITEC Knights had done well to take crucial wickets early in the days play when they dismissed Yaseen Vallie (136), Daniel Smith (35) and Kyle Verreynne for four runs.
But, de Zorzi batted on, adding a 147-run sixth wicket partnership with George Linde (46) as the home-side declared on 575/7.
In Gqeberha, the Dafabet Warriors restricted North West Dragons to 116 runs all out after setting a first innings score of 381 runs. Skipper, Nicky van den Bergh (53), had reached a half-century before he was caught by Tshepo Ndwandwa off Beyers Swanepoel.
Matthew Breetzke (69*) and Jordan Hermann (64) fifties have ensured a 415-run lead for the home team.
Inclement weather saw little play being held in Durban between Hollywoodbets Dolphins and Gbets Rocks on Friday.
Dolphins could only add 59 runs in the days play, with Sarel Erwee on 76 runs before edging Shaun von Berg to Clyde Fortuin. Dolphins still trail Rocks by 76 runs in their first innings.
Momentum Multiply Titans kicked-off Day 2 well to dismiss DP World Lions for 354 in Johannesburg.
Ryan Rickelton (108*) scored another unbeaten ton in the series, and with Sisanda Magala’s half century, the Lions secured a respectable first innings score.
Neil Brand (75*) and Dean Elgar (55) then shared 107-runs before the fall of the first wicket. Brand and Sibonelo Makhanya (27*) saw the day off with Titans on 173/1, trailing the Lions by 181 runs.
CSA 4-Day Series Fixtures: Thu – Sun: 24 – 27 November 22 (Stumps on Day 2)
Six Gun Grill Western Province vs ITEC Knights, Six Gun Grill Newlands, Cape Town (Knights won the toss and elected to bat first.
- Knights trail Western Province by 430 runs
- Knights: 111/10 in 40.2 Overs – G. Cloete 29 (50), A. Mothoa 25 (25) / B. Hendricks 4/16, D. Paterson 2/18.
- Western Province: 575/7 in 135.5 Overs –T. de Zorzi 304* (381), Y. Vallie 136 (193), G. Linde 46 (83) / G. Coetzee 4/117
- Knights: 34/1 in 12 Overs –
Dafabet Warriors vs North West Dragons, St George’s Park, Gqeberha (Dragons won the toss and elected to field first.)
- Warriors lead Dragons by 415 runs
- Warriors: 381/10 in 111 Overs – M. Breetzke 112* (233), D. Rosier 80 (136) / R. Meyer 5/90
- Dragons: 116/10 in 41.5 Overs – N. van den Bergh 53 (99) / B. Swanepoel 4/19, M. Jansen 3/40
- Warriors: 150/3 in 47 Overs – M. Breetzke 69* (108), J. Hermann 64 (111) / D. Potgieter 2/12
- Dragons: Yet to Bat
DP World Lions vs Momentum Multiply Titans, DP World Wanderers, Johannesburg (Lions won the toss and elected to bat first).
- Titans trail Lions by 181 runs
- Lions: 354/10 in 111.5 Overs – J. Richards 107 (127), R. Rickelton 108* (248), S. Magala 54 (118) / S. Harmer 7/83, A. Gqamane 2/49
- Titans: 173/1 in 45 Overs – N. Brand 75 (132), D. Elgar 55 (97), S. Makhanya 27* (48)/
Hollywoodbets Dolphins vs Gbets Rocks, Hollywoodbets Kingsmead, Durban (Rocks won the toss and elected to bat first)
- Dolphins trail Rocks by 76 runs
- Rocks: 211/10 in 65.3 Overs – C. Fortuin 93* (145), F. Adams 30 (41) / JJ Smuts 5/55, K. Maharaj 3/80
- Dolphins: 135/4 in 47 Overs – S. Erwee 76 (146), J. Smith 23* (83) / S. von Berg 3/56
All matches can be streamed live from the CSA YouTube Channel and ball-by-ball action available on the CSA App.
Issued by: Cricket South Africa – Corporate Communications
ABOUT CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA
Cricket South Africa (CSA), an affiliate of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) and a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC), is the national governing body for the sport of cricket in South Africa and administers all aspects of South African cricket, men, and women, both in the professional and amateur sphere.