14 Jan RICHARDS, HENDRICKS HAVE THE LIONS PURRING ON DAY 1 AS 4-DAY SERIES RESUMES
JOHANNESBURG: Impressive tons from Joshua Richards and Reeza Hendricks helped the Imperial Lions pile on the runs in their first Cricket South Africa (CSA) 4-Day Domestic Series fixture of the year against the Hollywoodbets Dolphins in Durban on Thursday.
The action is streamed live on SuperSport’s YouTube page, with seven matches taking place across Divisions One and Divisions Two in the latest round of the 2021/22 campaign.
Richards recorded a dominant 151 off 250 balls (20 fours, 1 six) from the top of the order in a notable 258-run, second-wicket partnership with Hendricks (136 off 211; 20 fours), who notched up his 16th career century in First Class cricket, as the pair helped guide the visitors to 332 / 3 at stumps.
Dolphins’ Ottniel Baartman (2 / 52) claimed two of the three wickets to fall on day one at the Hollywoodbets Kingsmead Stadium, including the Lions top-scorer, Richards.
In Gqeberha, the Gbets Warriors pair of top-order batter Lesiba Ngoepe (75 off 95; 13 fours) and Diego Rosier (58* off 104; 7 fours) tried their best to keep Shaun von Berg and the GbetsRocks’ bowling attack at bay to reach 235 / 8 at the end of the day’s play.
The Rocks leg-spinner picked up his 24th five-wicket haul in the format as the away side fought to restrict the hosts.
In another runs-filled match on the opening day, the Six Gun Grill Western Province outfit amassed 382 / 5 in their enthralling encounter against the ITEC Knights in Bloemfontein as David Bedingham shone with the willow, recording 161 runs, while Tony de Zorzi (97) fell three runs short of a hundred.
Former SA under-19s starlet, Gerald Coetzee nabbed three wickets for 77 runs for the home side.
Meanwhile in Potchefstroom, the Momentum Multiply Titans flexed their muscles with the ball, with spinner Simon Harmer taking his 25th wicket of the season with a five-for for just 20 runs to help his team bowl out the North West Dragons for 147.
With the bat, the Titans went on to post 118 / 3 before the close of play, with Heinrich Klaasen ending the day unbeaten on 53* off 63 (8 fours) alongside Sibonelo Makhanya (33*) at the crease, just 29 runs behind.
In Division Two, the Six Gun Grill South Western Districts ended day one on 291 / 8 in their clash against the Hollywoodbets Tuskers as Blayde Capell (80) top-scored for the Western Cape side.
A 132-run partnership between Jonathan Vandiar (84*) and Aubrey Swanepoel (79*) inspired the Northern Cape Heat to a commanding 315 / 3 against the Eastern Storm, while an undefeated 113* off 142 balls (9 fours, 5 sixes) from Benjamin van Niekerk helped give the Mpumalanga Rhinos a 134-run lead over the Limpopo Impalas.
2021/22 CSA 4-DAY DOMESTIC SERIES:
ROUND 4 & 5 LATEST SCORES –
- Imperial Lions lead Hollywoodbets Dolphins by 332 runs
- Imperial Lions: 332 / 3 after 96 overs; J. Richards 151 (251), R. Hendricks 136 (210); O. Baartman 2 / 52, E. Bosch 1 / 16
- Hollywoodbets Dolphins: Yet to bat
- Gbets Warriors lead GbetsRocks by 235 runs
- Gbets Warriors: 235 / 8 after 74 overs; L. Ngoepe 75 (95), D. Rosier 58* (104); S. von Berg 5 / 75, H. Viljoen 2 / 59
- GbetsRocks: Yet to bat
- Six Gun Grill Western Province lead ITEC Knights by 382 runs
- Six Gun Grill Western Province: 382 / 5 after 96 overs; D. Bedingham 161*, T. de Zorzi (97); G. Coetzee 3 / 77
- ITEC Knights: Yet to bat
- Momentum Multiply Titans trail North West Dragons by 29 runs
- North West Dragons: 147 / 10 after 45.2 overs; S. Pillay 34 (81), N. Mvelase 24 (42); s. Harmer 5 / 50, L. Williams 3 / 43
- Momentum Multiply Titans: 118 / 3 after 30.3 overs; H. Klaasen 53* (63), S. Makhanya 33* (55); D. Potgieter 1 / 23, D. Jansen 1 / 27
- Six Gun Grill South Western Districts lead the Hollywoodbets Tuskers by 215 runs
- Six Gun Grill Western South Western Districts: 291 / 8 after B. Capell 80 (68), L. du Plooy 54 (134); M. Erlank 3 / 57, T. Koekemoer 2 / 41
- Hollywoodbets Tuskers: Yet to bat
- Northern Cape Heat lead Eastern Storm by 315 runs
- Northern Cape Heat: 315 / 3 after 83 overs; J. Vandiar 84* (37), A. Swanepoel 79* (85); G. Thomson 1 / 21, N. Nxumalo 1 / 45
- Eastern Storm: Yet to bat
- Mpumalanga Rhinos lead Limpopo Impalas by 134 runs
- Mpumalanga Rhinos: 216 / 10 after 73.4 overs; B. van Niekerk 113 (142), L. Peters 45 (99); D. Radebe 5 / 41, A. Mokgoloboto 2 / 30
- Limpopo Impalas: 82 / 2 after 21 overs; T. Hobson 37* (54), M. Nofal 19* (40); B. Xenxe 1 / 30
Issued by: Cricket South Africa – Corporate Communications
ABOUT CRICKET SOUTH AFRICA
Cricket South Africa (CSA), an affiliate of the South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) and a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC), is the national governing body for the sport of cricket in South Africa and administers all aspects of South African cricket, men, and women, both in the professional and amateur spheres.