FOUR became five in the popular “Catch a Million” competition on Tuesday when Louwrens Engelbrecht held on one-handed to a Rassie van der Dussen six in the T20 Challenge Qualifier between the Warriors and bizhub Highveld Lions in Port Elizabeth.
The 23-year-old threw himself to his left and held on right-handed for a superb effort that, for now, guarantees him one-fifth of the overall prize.
“It was a great catch and I'm so happy I held on,” Engelbrecht said. “The money was not as important as having to be entered into the competition, and to get on TV.
“It obviously holds some significance, but I’ve seen it happen on TV and never had the opportunity to take one of those that gets you into an actual competition. So that for me made my night.”
Engelbrecht, a health and safety officer in the petrochemical industry, is a regular visitor to St George’s Park and also likes to play cricket on a social level. Although originally from Kempton Park, he has spent recent times working in Port Elizabeth.
His catch over the long-off boundary, which was from the bowling of Standard Bank Proteas star, Kyle Abbott, meant he essentially “Let Loose” – which is the catch-line in the 2016/17 competition – after fulfilling the criteria of ‘successfully taking a single-handed catch at a televised T20 Challenge match’.
He now joins Arno Kotze, Brian van Rooyen, Samuel Fortein and Lihlumile Vabaza for a share of the R1-million prize-money.
And a ball was not the only thing Engelbrecht caught for his efforts. Television pictures revealed a bloody face afterwards following a collision with another spectator who was trying to take the same catch.
“Basically I had already taken the catch, but another bloke, who was also running to catch the ball, was close behind me and as I woke up after taking the catch, my head hit his nose,” he added.
“So I caught a small cut on my forehead and the other guy I suspect has a broken nose. He says it’s nothing serious, but I bought him a beer afterwards and he was very sporting about the whole thing.”
Cricket fans will have one more chance to split the current five R1-million shareholders when the T20 Challenge Final is played at SuperSport Park in Centurion on Friday, December 16.