VACANCY: Proteas Men’s Team Head Coach
CSA (Cricket South Africa) is the national governing body for the sport of cricket in South Africaand administers all aspects of South African cricket, and whereappropriate on the continent of Africa.
CSA is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. It is our intention to promote and broaden the diversity of our workforce ensuring South Africans of all races, gender and disability can be involved in the administration of cricket. All appointments are made in line with CSA’s employment equity commitments.
The CSA Board is considering the position of the Proteas Head Coach until at least the end of the 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup. The Proteas Head Coach is responsible to ensure that the Proteas are a winning combination and proudly represents all the people of South Africa. In addition, the Proteas Head Coach serves as a national selector, collaborates extensively with the CSA High Performance support staff and is key to the world class functioning of the National Team and high quality players.
The role will report to the Chief Executive (or his nominee). Being in the sport of cricket, the role requires extensive travel (both local and international), extended periods away from home and the ability and willingness to work long hours, over weekends and public holidays where necessary.
The more important criteria for the appointment is set out below and although not exhaustive, would serve as a guide to assess prospective candidates.
Key job outputs:
Key performance areas include but are not limited to the following:
• Preparing South Africa’s best players for high class international competition and achieve CSA’s vision of excellence and CSA’s goal to be the best cricket playing nation in the world;
• Actively improve or maintain South Africa’s top world ranking in all formats of the game;
• Prepare, motivate and inspire the Proteas to perform at high class standards at all times;
• To act as a selector on the National Selection Panel;
• To ensure the Proteas team represents all the people of South Africa and to drive the transformation goals of CSA;
• Ensuring the Proteas Management Team supports and executes all initiatives designed to enhance player development, gather tour intelligence and make recommendations on key learnings from all series; and
• Perform other reasonable duties as required by CSA, including ad hoc projects.
The following skills, qualifications and experience are essential requirements:
• A level 4 Cricket Coaching Certificate or equivalent international accredited qualification would be advantageous;
• At least 10 years’ cricket coaching experience with 5 years of those being coaching at the highest domestic level in a ICC Full Member country would be advantageous;
• Intimate knowledge of international cricket;
• Experience in coaching at international level will be an advantage;
• Experience in having played first class cricket will be an advantage; and
• Good mentoring and motivational skills.
In addition, the following competencies and attributes would be essential:
• Understand and implement the transformation objectives of CSA;
• Command the respect of the players;
• Strong leadership, people and diversity management skills;
• Conflict management and resolution skills;
• Excellent strategic planning skills;
• Strong decision making ability;
• Good attitude and excellent interpersonal skills;
• Self-motivated with a high work ethic and ability to solve problems;
• Reliable, high level of integrity and respects confidentiality;
• Results focused;
• Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) including ability to communicate with people at all levels;
• Ability to work under pressure and handling of stress; and
• Passionate about the game of cricket.
Successful candidate would be expected to spend the time required by the HP Programme, at the CSA Powerade Center of Excellence, LC de Villiers Sports Grounds, HPC, Burnett Street, Hatfield, Pretoria, in the execution of his duties, although he/she will not be obliged to move to Pretoria.
Qualifying candidates can apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with a comprehensive CV, copy of SA ID, copies of qualifications and at least two contactable references.
All applications will be treated in strict confidence. Short listed candidates will undergo interviews and possible additional assessments.
In making the final selection, consideration will be given to the employment equity objectives of CSA. A performance agreement shall be entered into with the successful applicant. CSA reserves the right not to make an appointment.
The closing date for all applications is 16 June 2017. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Should you not receive a response to your application within 14 days after the closing date, please consider it as being unsuccessful.